Late report of Archeon Easter weekend

Good evening, I have a blaring head ache, I’m high on anti-biotics and I cant sleep. So why not (finally) do my report on Archeon.


We had a great time, except for the first night, and we bought a lot of goodies while staying in our budget. Yay.

So first of all, it was our very first time at Archeon as non-visitors and I was fucking stoked about it. So we arrived at the back entrance like all big shots, after a wobbly road down, like what is it with Dutch people and road bumps. Talked to the guy in charge who showed us our spot, well basically ” This whole green place, wherever you want.”  Whoohoo we were on the same area as the organisation so we could totally prove our worth.

We set up camp fairly easy, no screaming and shouting at eatch other which was nice, and it went pretty fast so before we knew it we went to stalk our neighbors the Njardars :p We spent every evening with them, steal some heat from their fire and give them booze. So first night everyone is tired from setting up, we talk a while and then it started to rain, which was our goodnight que. We turned in for the night while the rain was getting harder and the wind was picking up really bad, I never sleep well at viking weekends but let me tell you I was very edgy that night. And then it happend, 3am CRASH, our tarpaulin came down and suddenly we were outside getting wet and freezing our asses off. Getting the damn thing to stand up again and set it a bit better hoping it would hold, idle hope. About 15 minutes later we hear the goddamn CRASH sound again, so while cursing every possible god we went back out in the poring rain, in pyjama’s and really fucking close to a breakdown thinking what to fuck are we doing here. We tried to get it back up but the wind wasn’t letting us, so hubby wrapped the tarpaulin up and shoved it in a chair ” We will see tomorrow”. We go back in the tent and ,lo and behold, there were small puddles of water all over the place, more inward screaming. The bed was dry so we tried, really tried hard, to get some sleep.

Next morning I dried up the puddles and we checked our tarpaulin, turns out one of our welded rings ,fucking welded, popped during the storm. It broke and was bend, total shit. We couldn’t set it free standing anymore, so we attached it on to the tent and let it stand with 2 poles in front like the first time we set up.


First time we set up

So after this disastrous night, I wanted to get some shopping out of the way (we dont need anything doesn’t last long) We went to pick up a custom made candle holder from our friends at Daugava (I’ll get some pics of it in the morning and put them on), we had a chat and then went for the rest of the park. The Easter event is never big so we were done pretty fast and when going back to our tent, we were set up right between the picknick area and the playground, a kid started swinging our axe around. A duet of “hey, put that down! that’s not a toy!” and “you might hurt yourself, that is a sharp axe” he dropped it and looked at his mom in confusion.

Let me tell you Dutch folks are pretty shameless, which is fun when you want to explain stuff because they really ask questions, its not so fun when they start snooping around in your tent or grabbing axes to swing around.

The next days were pretty normal and suddenly we were Monday morning, hubby got some training done with the Njardars and Daugava and me? Well I was going to blow the rest of my budget or damnwell try. The new additions to our kit are 2 wooden plates, a game of hnefatafl, a purse (hedeby style), needle bound sox and a cute card woven belt.

We went on to play hnefatafl for a while, I’m actually good at it and I beat the husband a good amount of time. So many times, I got bored if winning and he was sick of losing :p

Around 4-ish I started to get dizzy and sick to my stomach, of course I have everything for a headache but nothing for tummy aches. We broke camp very fast and again no screaming or shouting at each other, like a prefect couple. We were done in 30 minutes and went on to say our goodbye’s, which took another good 30 minutes :p

Turns out I had a bad sunburn, I had a tomato colored face with a heat stroke to go right with it. Imagine that while sitting at  McDonald’s with 6 chicken nuggets, you really dont want to eat but your husband might force them down, and kids screaming around. Lets just say I was happy to get back in the car and start the 3 hour drive home.

440723aasr90zpk9This turned to be more of a rant :s but we actually had fun and we are dying to go again, this time with a new tarpaulin. But a new tarp isn’t in our budget at the moment, we bought a house, so all our budget is going to the renovations (I might do a post when its all over). But by next season, I hope, a new tarp should be a fact.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s